A Cougar Pic, Your Cougar Pic

Nope - it was 7 with 77000 miles when I got it, 10 and starting to rust in this picture.

1 Like

Funny how the rust hides so well; from the picture looks like “all is well”. As an aside; I graduated in '73, first car was a ‘67. Dodge Polara convertible - wasn’t my preferred choice, but I wasnt’ “cat struck” yet either.

Yeah, I kept the rust around the rear wheel wells patched up as long as I could. But it was exceeding my budget to keep it going. Traded for a 79 Cutlass.

At least you had a convertible! I always wanted one with a 351C and had to wait until 2013 to find Calicat.

1 Like

My 68 XR7 that I drove back in high school in the 1990’s. My dad worked at a Ford dealership and someone traded this in to buy a Ford Taurus… He picked it up for me cheap and we built the engine together. It was my daily driver all through high school. Such a sweet ride. Its been parked in the garage all this time and I’m about to get her going again.

3 Likes

Glad you hung onto it! A lot less expensive than buying another one now. Looks like you are out west, so hopefully less rusty. We will enjoy watching your progress as you restore it!

1 Like

Imagine the sense of some people; trading a 1st generation Cougar for ANY year Taurus!

1 Like

What I really wanted was the '70 Cuda 426 Hemi convertible on the showroom floor; paid $900 for the Polara - the 'Cuda was out of reach at $2500. Sheesh! Give me that chance again!

1 Like

If you ever get back in the time machine please grab one for me too!

1 Like

I would, but I believe it was 1 of 1. Red, white interior, full power (including windows), with A/C. It’s very likely I saw it at a Barrett’s or Mecum auction several years back transferring for $2.5 million. Either way, it wouldn’t have made it that long in my hands.

1 Like

This was my first Cougar. Not a real Eliminator but was an R code with C6 . I was 19 and traded a friend of mine even up for my 1970 Torino GT 429CJ 4 speed. 11 months later we both wanted our previous car back so we traded again. Crazy teenage stuff!

1 Like

Independent rear suspension? That right rear tire looks a little wanky…

Nope. Never had any trouble with the drivetrain or vibrations

I thought the same thing - but finally noticed it’s the angle that he took the picture of a picture in a photo album. Focus on the left edge of the white border in the photo album and your brain might snap it back into correct perspective. Cool optical illusion, and cool Cougar too!

Yeah, I gathered as much, I was being facetious, but my humor usually fails. It is a nice car. Thanks for the clarification.

Myself and a few friends got together my Sport Special for the Nationals in NJ 2011. The SS got 2nd place behind a beautiful green 69 that belongs to our Resident Cougar Photographer Cliff Gardner. Previously, this SS won the Mangy Cat class at the Cougar Nationals in Fairfax, VA in 2005. 12 years later it needs some touch up, but it is a good driving car that gets 20-21 mpg on the highway.

2 Likes

My first Cougar, sometime in 1978.

It was originally white, but the original owner had it painted in 1975.
351C 2v, auto, pb, ps

2 Likes

Great pics Dave - we were both driving '70 Cougars in 1978!

Here I am with my '67 DGS on the Colonial Parkway sometime in the '90s.

• Phillip

In 1978 I was driving this 70 XR-7.

3 Likes

My Cougar odysee

Barn find in 2015

Current state in 2023. Hope to be on the road in the spring. Of what year I am not sure.

2 Likes

Same color combo as the 70 XR7 I was driving in 78! That’s some bold striping on yours - maybe Starsky and Hutch inspired?

1 Like