Another Red GTE hitting the road soon!

I don’t mean to distract from the “other” Red XR7 GTE thread which has been very interesting reading, but just wanted to let the community know that we are close to getting another one back on the road. This W code XR7 GTE is currently being restored (correctly this time!) by Taylor Restorations (Chandler, AZ) in partnership with Classic Performance Restorations (CPR) based in Gilbert, Arizona. This car was bought last year at the Mecum Auction in Oklahoma. At that point in time it sported white paint, and a very amateurish restoration. The original color of the car was Lime Green. The current owner wanted a Red GTE, so that is what he is getting. He also wanted air conditioning added. But rather than putting on some after market unit, we installed a complete factory original 1968 AC set up (except for the compressor). The restoration should be completed in April, and we will post before and after photos soon! The paint on this car is amazing!

Very nice!!

Puuuurrrrdyyyyyy. Looks great.

Looks good ! I don’t believe in color change on rare cars. Made that mistake once on my 69 1/2 6 pack RR. Paid a price when I sold it.

Fantastic job, I’m looking forward to seeing more of the photos.

www.CougarClub.org

Looks great!

Wow, great job on a really cool car. I respect the bold move adding A/C (maybe he heard me ribbing the W code guys over the years, LOL).

That will be a nice feather in your cap when completed! I may have some 68 trim rings stashed away for you…

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=C8W%20trim%20ring%20used

Nice! That was originally Russell Patton’s car, from Jonesboro, Arkansas

Look what showed up in my driveway today! We are getting closer to completion by the day, and are doing some shake down runs on the GTE now. I just happened to have my son’s 1968 Cougar XR7 out at the same time, so got some side by side photos. His is made to look like a 428 CJ car, but is actually a J code.

Both cats are looking good.

Nice work Scott!

I was under the impression that GT-E’s never got vinyl tops from the factory. Anyone know about this? Or is it just that most people who ordered a GT-E opted not to have one?

Vinyl roof was an option like any other.

Interesting restoration choices? Looks nice though. How did they refinish the side trim?

Many GT-E’s had factory vinyl tops because they were ordered that way. Why, I will never fully understand. With the lower argent silver paint, body moulding and upper body color combination, the vinyl top was just a bit much for my liking.

I do have to say that red one is looking really good!

My thoughts exactly! It’s like a 3-tone.

The 60’s baby!!!

My 68 XR7 GTE has a black top and black interior. I think its a great combination. However, the non top cars just look more aggressive. Just my thoughts.

Mike is right, it was the "thing’ in the’60’s. Growing up in the’60’s, I learned bodywork watching my dad paint cars on the side. He started getting customers who wanted their painted hardtop cars to have the vinyl top look. But they didn’t want to pay an upholstery shop for the real thing. So he would prep the top and spray this faux vinyl top coating. Made specifically for this application, it looked like black undercoating except had a hard finish.

The irony is the vinyl top was introduced from the factory as a faux convertible top look.

Great looking GTE. I personally like the vinyl tops.
Steven