Custom Color Combination - Looking for Suggestions

As I am slowing finishing my 67 convertible conversion I have been starting to think about colors. I have favored RED body, BLACK top, and CHARCOAL interior for many previous vehicles but looking for options and opinions. For example, This is my 5.0 Mustang from 30 years ago.

If you had free reign with color selection what would you choose? Looking for interesting suggestions.

Lime Frost green with black top and black interior - maybe with white seats. Very common 67 colors but with something along with the rag top that says no, this is different!

1 Like

Interesting body color

Not fond of WHITE interiors however. Too easy to get dirty.

Do you plan on using the car for cruising around town and country, or are you planning some major road trips with it? Does it have A/C? If the answers are road trips with A/C, a dark top will add heat load.

No A/C, you’ll have the windows down and the rear window down if it’s so hot you need some shade. There will be enough air through the car that you won’t notice the heat through the top.

Under any driving conditions, a light interior is cooler than a dark one. Much more so on a sunny day with the top down, which is the reason you have a convertible.

With red exterior, I’d go with light tan interior, tan top. Tan takes advantage of the reason the British used khaki in India.

My opinion is everybody does red. I like something different. I would go with a bright metallic blue exterior, with blue top and interior. Or light-yellow exterior with tan top and interior.

Good point about AC. I have not made a decision on that. The car did not originally come with AC so I would have to install everything. My 5.0 was when I was in AZ and in the 120 F summer heat the top was roasting and AC generally useless.

This car is being built as a cruiser and fancy driver.

I like the thought about metallics in general.

Interesting thought on “mono-tone” blue/blue/blue but probably too much of the same for me. Maybe blue exterior, blue top, tan/saddle interior.

The monotone scheme makes me also think about “black-out” versus SS/chrome trim.

Tan/saddle is a nice interior color and is really nice with green exterior but we already have a few 67/68 verts in that color combo.

Honestly not a fan of yellow. Maybe the stigma from cracks on my bright yellow Kawasaki Vulcan cruiser.

Eastwood “Burnout Blue Metallic” on a Mustang
p_50375_burnout_blue_metallic_ss_mustang_1_1_1

Color is such a personal choice thats its hard to make suggestions. Since your not going for original color combo you have a whole lot more options to pick from. Another thought to consider is paint cost, having a custom color mixed up or choosing a multi stage peril color adds to the cost and can make repairs much more costly if something ever happened. When I painted my car I chose a factory ford color and used the vin and paint code to match. Just something to keep in mind.

I painted mine Magnetic(dark metallic gun metal grey), with black interior and kept the chrome trim and bumpers. I almost went silver with black interior but didnt think I would like the chrome trim on that combo. I like blues as well but only very dark almost black blues. Ford had some good looking dark blues for a while. My 2001 F350 was called True Blue and was a very dark metallic blue.

Thanks for the additional thought. I understand that it is a very personal choice but I also know that I have horse blinders on with my historical color combinations. However, I know I want something different this time so any outside suggests help move me from my entrenched position.

Between factory colors and those from Eastwood and others I have too many choices not even considering “custom colors”!

I like the item of reviewing factory combinations. Some designer/stylist picked them together for some reason.

A deep dark green, with a tan top and interior with dark brown carpet

Sure, through carpet color into the mix! I have to admit I did not even think of that issue. When I am thinking interior I was only thinking seats and dash.

Thanks

I have always liked the deep green ( British racing green / forest green ? ) exterior with the saddle ( leather ) interior. Classy. Here’s a link to a few color combination ideas. Some of the images aren’t that great as they were taken from advertising hard copy, but it can give you some additional colors to ponder :slight_smile:

Cinnamon Frost, Saddle interior

Nice color however, searching anything with “cinnamon” this time of year get a lot of hits on “pumpkin spice”

I like those colors also however, there are already TWO with that scheme (the CatVert and CopyCatVert projects). Looking to avoid CopyCopyCatVert.

I’m not a fan of red colors. If I had to choose a red hue from factory colors, I’d go with burnt orange poly (aka Indian Fire Red when on Mustang). You can see examples at Cougar Colors - #8 by BossElim69. A parchment or tan interior would coordinate well, IMO.

2 Likes

EVERYONE loves a red convertible! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the '67/'68’s body lines look better in deeper/darker colors and so I’d go with a European inspired color combo of Caspian blue (nightmist blue) with a dark blue convertible top (or white) and either saddle or white interior. Can look up '67 mustang convertibles to get an idea

Lipstick red draws the crowd until the next red one comes in. I tend to go with stock colors or subtle variations. Cuz you like blue , how bout the new bronco light blue/grey color, dark blue hartz top,grey tweed seats with blue piping and medium blue carpet.

Paint it black. Paint it black, you devils…

black looks great but keeping it looking that way is a lot of work in a dusty location like where I live. Black and white are definitively out of the running.

On my wagon street rod im going with a deep dark red with dark tan interior . The seat shown is from my Bronco i restored, but im going to go with that color. The frame rail above the tire is where I was experimenting with the color. Im going to try to darken it just a little more than that.