Tragedy in the Cougar Community

Sorry for your loss Don…

I am so very sorry to read about this tragic accident and the unfortunate outcome. My thoughts and prayers to the Rush family and friends. RIP Alek. And God bless you for being a donor and bringing a better life to many others. One other thing here for anyone that knew Alek and is having trouble dealing with the loss PLEASE find someone to talk to. One loss is too many.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Wow….just wow…I don’t even want to imagine that kind of loss. Prayers and condolences for Don and his family.

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for strength and peace.

Thank you Cougar community for your kind words and support right now. Every day gets a little easier to breathe. My son Alek marched to the tune of a different drum beat and had no desire for awards diplomas or material possessions. All he left behind was a new pair of Nikes a third hand half paid off old Toyota Corolla and several bottles of expensive cologne of what he always wore too much of. But when the deeds of this world are put through fire everything burns except for gemstones. The gemstones that will stand the test of fire are his relationships . He was a champion of the underdog, any classroom he was in in high school the kids that were vulnerable all of a sudden felt safe. He would never say anything unkind about people behind their backs even when they may have been true. Babies and animals were immediately attracted to him like nobody else in our family . Having five very athletic confidant children our family has done everything from skydiving, scuba diving, dirt bikes, pole vaulting, football, you name it. This was one of those simple simple mistakes where my 17-year-old son who was driving the boat should’ve zigged and he zagged. I’ve always looked at guys missing fingers that do woodworking all their lives and see their hands and find out that they did this after 30 years of woodworking, how could that happen? It just does, my son could’ve just as easily lost his life in a crosswalk . In the scope of eternity we are all down here for just a very brief moment like the fogging of a mirror or like grass that withers in the Fall. People ask how we came up with the strength to do all the paperwork answer all the questions and keep our son artificially alive for several days while all recipients were put in place to receive his organs. This was Alek’s moment, we do not get to participate in his wedding like his brothers upcoming wedding this October, we do not get to be in a stadium with thousands and thousands of people cheering like his brothers, we aren’t able to be at graduation ceremonies where he receives scholarships and awards and standing ovations. Alek was an all in kind of guy, the reason he had no possessions is if you liked one of them you owned it. This was his moment to be a hero , he was trained to be a wildland fire fighter and was on call to leave in a moments notice, that did not happen either this year. His mother and I had to be strong in those final moments for him. The honor walk at the hospital was the most amazing crowd of fans you could ever hope for. Because he was a weight lifter, an athlete, drug-free, and showed up at the hospital with a 100% intact body, he was able to provide second chances for more people than we can count. In the upcoming months we look forward to meeting some of these people and looking into my very own sons eyes and feeling my very own sons heartbeat. I am making a conscientious choice right now to be more like him in several ways, when my moment comes and my whole life‘s deeds are put to the test of fire I want gemstones.

I had to be the pillar from that moment on Monday until we walked out of those double doors at the OR. Now I am numb, powerless and actually at peace…. Friends of Alek Benjamin Rush the memories and pictures you are sending in are deep healing salve for our wounds. Please do not stop, however small or great your memories are please keep them flowing.

Lord, arise and stand against them. Push them back! Come and save me from these men of the world whose only concern is earthly gain—these men whom you have filled with your treasures so that their children and grandchildren are rich and prosperous. But as for me, my contentment is not in wealth but in seeing you and knowing all is well between us. And when I awake in heaven, I will be fully satisfied, for I will see you face-to-face.
Psalm 17:13,15

Amen and god bless your strength. When the pain begins to flare this holiday season take the time to watch “Last Christmas” with Emilia Clark. The message is touching.

Don, that last post with pictures brought tears to my eyes. I know your faith will help you through this, along with the outpouring of love and support from so many who’ve come to know you over the years. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Thank you, Don, for your heartfelt statement. It appears that Alek was a gentle soul, and he continues to help others live their best.

You and your family should be very proud of him and his accomplishments. Remember him well.

For the Rush family, so very sorry for your loss.

Thank You Don, God Bless. I will perform a toast to Alek tonight at dinner.

Don that was a touching and powerful tribute to your son. May he Rest In Peace and may your family find comfort in the memories you all created and the positive impact he had on others during and after his life here.

Don, I can’t imagine the unfathomable pain you and your family must feel at this time, but your words of strength, and grace, and love are such a fitting tribute to your son and the power of his presence in the lives of those he has touched and those he will continue to bless. Peace be upon you all.

Beautiful tribute. My youngest is Alek’s age, and when he gets home from work tonight, dad will be waiting with the light on, which I’ve gotten out of the habit of doing.

May God bless you and your entire family,

Joel

My prayers go out to Don’s entire family and circle of friends.

As a parent myself I cannot fathom what your family and yourself are going through. I can only give my sincerest condolences.

CWatson

The right words are hard to find. Hopefully you can feel my thoughts and prayers. May God hold you close and provide comfort.

My family’s condolences, I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said.

I will be giving my wife and kids an extra hug tomorrow in honour of, and relating to them, Alek’s story.

John

The Lord has taken another one of his children home, rest in peace Alek.

Beautiful eulogy Don. That’s all I can say. :worried:

Don,

What can we do to honor Alek and the Rush family in this moment?

Is there a cause or a charity that best represents the exemplary life of your son?

Thinking of you all in this sad time Don,

Tom, Laura, Nate and John Fisher